Kebabs are great for kids and adults with braces, as the meat component can be pre- cut into bite sized pieces that will protect your braces! Use any other favorite meats or vegetables as you please.
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 new or baby red potatoes
- 1 1/4 pounds strip steak, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 poblano peppers , or 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Combine cilantro, vinegar, sour cream, garlic, chile powder, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Place potatoes in a microwave-safe container. Cover and microwave on High until just tender when pierced with a fork, 3 to 3 1/2 minutes.
- Toss the potatoes, steak and pepper pieces with oil and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Thread the potatoes, steak, peppers and onion chunks onto 8 skewers. Grill, turning once or twice, until the steak reaches desired doneness, about 6 minutes for medium. Serve the kebabs with the reserved sauce.
Thanks to Eating Well for this recipe and photo!