Halloween is such a fun time for children, with costumes and candy. For kids with braces, it can be tough to judge what candy may harm their braces. I tell my patients that for this night, it is OK to enjoy some treats, but to follow some guidelines. Here is a list of common candies that are acceptable and not recommended.
Absolute No- No’s: Candies on this list are either really hard, extremely chewy, or have a consistency that will likely damage your braces.
- Jolly Ranchers or hard candy
- Taffy or hard caramels
- Now and Laters
- Tootsie rolls
- Sugar Daddies
- Pay Days (or anything with full nuts)
Acceptable as Treats: These candies are acceptable (as limited treats only!), especially if they are broken into smaller pieces.
- Chocolate, Hershey’s Kisses
- Most soft candy bars (Milky Ways, Three Musketeers, and Snickers and Twix in small pieces)
- Fun dips
- Lolly Pops- just don’t bite into them!
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
In general, break things into small pieces, chew lightly, and consume sugar in moderation!
Dr. Dan Rejman is a Board Certified Orthodontic specialist, and is the owner of meadows Orthodontics in castle Rock, CO.